Sunday, October 23, 2011

National Black Genealogy Summit - Second Day


Another day of presentations for me

Well Saturday was a full day for me. Two more presentations (after having given two the day before) and there was much interest from the audience and I truly enjoyed the sessions.

I decided to sit in on an interesting session Genealogy in the Electronic Age presented by Tony Burroughs were some unique websites were shared with the audience.
Workshop, "Genealogy in the Electronic Age

So much of the fun came from the opportunity to meet people from other states.

Charles Brown of St. Louis brought a bus load of society members from his organization.

Three new friends leave the Wayne Center, Argyrie McCray, Bertha Curtis and Vicki Daviss Mitchell

There was a lot of sharing and I appreciated the time that I had on Thursday to do some research. I especially enjoy looking at the rare books and journals in the library. But the greatest pleasure I must admit was the feeling that I got as I observed friends helping strangers in their quest to know something of their past. On Thursday we all enjoyed watching Shelley Murphy of Virginia, assist a stranger in finding his grandmother's  maiden name. We later watched her assist another new friend, in locating data on her family as well.  Later, in the hotel room, Argyrie McRae of Baltimore assisted the same lady while chatting, and there in the hotel late at night, more genealogical gems were shared with her. Our evening ended with an informal genea-pajama party with friends laughing and sharing great times with each other, and we then prepared for early morning departures.

Sunday morning ended with a ride back to Maryland, through the beautiful Allegheny Mountains. What a wonderful evening to a great genealogy-filled weekend. 

Autumn beauty seen on the way home.

No comments: